Friday, December 11, 2009

Deja New?

It was obviously one of my infamous 'social experiments', but that part of me was just beginning to stamp it's curiosity at that point.

There are people who think that being in the middle of nowhere, with no money; armed with a vocabulary of about 5 words in the local dialect would quite likely be one of their worst nightmares.

...not to mention also being surrounded by an army of beer-guzzling, mother-cursing, schiesse-packing hooligans.

Those people would be surprised to know that I was in that situation.

Those people would be shocked even, to know that I had thrown myself into that situation on purpose.

Those people probably thought I had a deathwish.



Frankfurt holds a lot of memories. It's somewhere, in some forest, in some corner of Germany. The structures are antediluvian as they are new age, they're Transylvanian as they are Japanese inspired sky scrapers.

That summer day in June, I was more than a little bored with less than a little to do in Germany. I decided to go and watch the Germany-Portugal Euro 2008 game.

Of course, I went alone. So as soon as I got in, I approached the first bunch of people I saw, and acted like we were old buddies.

Much to my surprise, they didn't hit me over the head with one of their beer bottles.

Instead, they said "Heeey! Come here brooother! Whatsuuup!"

Cool, I like Germany :D

Over the next 2 hours, I had passionate debates about German politics, got inside gossip about how Bastian Schweinsteiger (footballer) is sleeping with the presidents wife, took 3 baths, (2 in beer, 1 in a fountain on the town square) and had the German flag tattooed on my butt, to match the German flag in my hand, the GO GERMANY balloon-finger on my other hand, and the red, yellow and black that my face had become.





Drunk more in the furore of an epic Euro win rather than the barrels of (admittedly mild) beer that they had consumed, my friend Mark decided to show me some of his seduction skills.

He just said, "Hey Aaaankit. Which girl over here you find hot?" I pointed out the first blonde girl I saw. I wasn't used to seeing blonde girls then.

Then my jaw dropped as he walked over to her, said something, got her phone number and a hug, and sent her away smiling.

And then he came back like it was the most normal thing in the world.

What the fuck?

"So...you just walk up to a stranger like that and start talking?"
"Sure man"
"Damn...what did you say?"
"I commented on her teeth. Just say the first thing that you think"


About a month later, I'm standing in a gloomy old Swedish town on the west coast. I've been waiting in line for 2 hours. I was cold, tired, and a little lost. To top it all off, there was a hot chick behind me who was getting increasingly pissed off with every passing second.

To make matters worse, I had spent the last few minutes trying to gather the courage to talk to her.

Whats the first thing that comes to my mind first thing that comes to my mind first thing that comes to my mind. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

"Hey uhmm...it's 20 kr to go in right?"

Wow, that was so bad that I should voluntarily remove myself from the gene pool.


Looking back 18 months later, maybe I was a little too hard on myself ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment